TAKOMA GROOVE CAMP:
Summer Music Experience for Teens
Takoma Groove Camp is a musical day camp allowing intermediate
and advanced musicians aged 12 through 17 to gain experience playing in a
contemporary band setting. During the camp students will be exposed to
many facets of being that come together in order to make a complete
musician. Not only do we get plenty of jamming and composing, but we
discuss the importance of a healthy lifestyle, mindfulness, and
utilizing your senses to the fullest in order to reach one's creative
As a Groove Camper you will:
- Explore MANY genres of music.
- Meet other chill, ego-free, awesomely creative musicians and peers who you can
continue to jam with after camp ends! Many local gigging bands
met each other at Groove Camp! Manic Attack, The Agiles, and The Flying
Mighty to name a few...
- Play an awesome concert of original material.
- Learn helpful meditation and stretching techniques to relax and strengthen the body, and divergent thinking exercises to help reach the most desirable outcomes of any situation.
- Explore band dynamics, group process, and social psych as you
take part in writing, arranging, rehearsing, advertising, and
performing your material.
- Learn how to set up the equipment needed to put on your own concerts after camp.
- Learn from a faculty of experienced, accessible, down to earth, professional musicians and educators.
- Design and manipulate artwork and graphics as you explore the marketing and promotion of your band.
- Discover new abilities and problem solving techniques as we conduct the various individual
and team building exercises designed to help you notice and improve your
- Get some good physical activity. After lunch we run various
activities including ultimate frisbee, capture the flag, hackey sack &
bocce ball. Participation is optional, but encouraged. Don't worry, no
one cares if you are "bad at sports", you'll be welcome in the game. An
extra change of clothes and a good pair of sneakers is recommended to participate in some activities.
Other Possible Activities throughout the week may include:
- Visiting an amazing, Grammy award winning recording studio in order to learn what to expect when your band goes into the studio to record.
- Taking a 'field trip' to local concert venues to tour the facilities and see what it would be like to load-in, set-up, sound check and play live shows at some of the areas top-notch rooms.
- Setting up an impromptu concert in town to promote the Friday Night Show
- Who knows what other fantastic activities await!
Takoma Groove Camp Details:
- Takoma Groove Camp classes are held at the Seeker's Church (seekerschurch.org), 276 Carroll St. NW, Washington DC 20012
(directly across the street from the Takoma Metro Station on the Red Line)
- Camp runs from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Drop off occurs from 8:30 to 9:00 a.m. at Seeker's Church
- It is very important to be timely!
- Students must pack a lunch or bring money to buy lunch.There are multiple healthy lunch options within a couple blocks of camp.
Each camp session culminates in a Friday Evening Concert (6:00 p.m.) Invite friends and family! Concert is free and open to the public. Earplugs are provided.
- Instructors include those with First Aid/CPR certification and emergency response experience.
- Supervised students will periodically leave the premises to go
to the sports field, get lunch, or possibly play acoustically at the 'Gazebo'.